- Open the OIV and click Edit. Or, on a Mac, click Artstor OIV in the toolbar menu.
- Click Preferences...
- A new window will open, offering five different tabs for editing user preferences. Please note: If you are not the administrator on your computer you may not have access to all five tabs and you will need to log onto the computer as the administrator to make certain changes.
- Click on the "General" tab to make changes to the...
- Focus indicator - During the Image Palette and Slide Presentations, you can set a frame to appear around the image that you are zooming during the presentation. This may be helpful when you have split the screen during an Image Palette presentation or selected a slide template with multiple zoomable images. If you prefer not to display this frame, un-check the box next to "Draw focus indicator during presentations."
- Slide scaling - During the Slide Presentation, you can set OIV to scale your slide to match the monitor resolution. This way, smaller slides will scale up to fill the projected space. To choose this option, check the box next to "Scale slides to match monitor resolution." If you leave the box un-checked, your slides will appear centered on the screen, at actual size. If you would like to change the size of the slides that you create, to match higher resolutions, you can reset the "Default slide size" in the "Defaults" or "Slide Defaults" tab (see below).
- Multiple monitor detection - The OIV will automatically detect whether or not you have multiple monitors connected to your computer for dual screen presentations. However, if you are experiencing trouble connecting to a monitor or projector, you can try disabling this automatic monitor detection feature by checking the box next to "Disable monitor detection."
- Proxy setup - If you would like to use a proxy connection to authenticate OIV remotely, check the box next to "Use proxy." Then, enter the server and port information for your institution's proxy server. If your proxy requires authentication, you can enter your username and password, and then use the "Test" button to confirm your proxy credentials.
- Click on the "Image Size" tab to choose the size of the images that you download from the Digital Library. Click on the radio button next to the desired download size, whether small (800 x 800 pixels), medium (1600 x 1600 pixels), or large (3200 x 3200 pixels).
- Information about what type of computer each image size is suited for, as well as recommended configurations, are included in this window. Please note that changes to this setting will only affect subsequent downloads.
- Downloading smaller images will decrease the download time for importing Artstor Groups to OIV. Doing so will also result in smaller presentation files that may be easier to transport for presentations at remote locations. It may also improve the performance of OIV on computers with limited memory or low processor speeds.
- Click on the "Temp Space" or "Files" tab to choose the directory that OIV should use to cache the uncompressed image files used in the Image Palette Presentation. Click on the "Browse" button to locate a target destination. For optimal performance, this directory should be on a different disk than the one containing the application itself.
- Click on the "Memory" or "Memory Usage" tab and use the scroll bar provided to set the maximum amount of memory the OIV can use. Explanations for each level, from 128 Megabytes to 1 Gigabyte, are provided. The memory setting must be less than the available memory on your computer. Even though the slider may show capacity up to 3.2 GB, the maximum recommended setting is 1.6 GB.
- Click on the "Defaults" or "Slide Defaults" tab to set the default properties for the slides that you create.
- Default slide size - Depending on your monitor resolution, use the drop-down arrow to select one of the following options: 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024, or 1600 x 1200.
- Slide background color - Use the drop-down arrow to the right of "Background" to select a new default slide background color from a set of swatches. You may also click on the "More colors" link to choose from a wider selection of color options. For more information, please see: Working with slide layouts.
- Font settings - Use the drop-down arrows provided to set formatting defaults for the text on your slides, whether type, style, size, and color. These settings will remain fully editable in the Slide Editor pane. For more information, please see: Working with text.
- Click on the "General" tab to make changes to the...
- Once you have made changes to your preferences, click on the "OK" button to close the window and apply the new default settings.
- You may always go back the "Preferences" dialog to re-adjust these preferences by repeating steps # 1-3 outlined above.
- Click on the "View" toolbar button.
- Follow the arrow to the right of the "Dialogs" option.
- Check or un-check the following options, depending on whether or not your would like to view the corresponding dialogs:
- Show getting started wizard on startup - When you open OIV, you will see a dialog box that asks you "What you would like to do?," whether you want to create a new presentation (with an Artstor Group or your own local images) or open a presentation (whether an existing OIV .prs file or a PowerPoint presentation). You can also check the box next to "Do not show this helper again" at the bottom of this window, so that this dialog no longer appears upon startup.
- Show presentation quick guide - When you first start Slide Presentation, a Quick Guide will appear, listing the various keyboard shortcuts that you can use during your presentation. To disable the Quick Guide, you can un-check this option, or you can also un-check the box next to "Show quick help when starting presentation" in the bottom of the Quick Guide window. For a listing of the keyboard shortcuts available during the Slide Presentation, please see: Slide presentation guide.
- Show certificate expiration warning - As a security measure, Artstor requires that every installation of the OIV be authenticated the first time the program is opened, as well as every 120 days thereafter. As the date to renew the certificate approaches, warning dialogs will begin to appear upon startup. To disable these warnings, un-check this option. For more detailed information, please see: Authentication.
- Show upload warning - uploading to the Artstor Digital Library is no longer available (June 2017)
When you open up OIV, you will see the workspace with a Default Layout consisting of a toolbar and several workspaces: the Image Palette, the Slide Sorter, and the Slide Editor.
- Use the Image Palette to build a collection of images for use in a presentation.
- Use the Slide Sorter to create presentation slides. Then, edit your presentation slides in the Slide Editor, using the images in the Image Palette.
- Once you have completed your presentation, use the options in the toolbar to save or share the file.
Since the Default Layout displays all three panes at the same time, you may find it useful when creating slides. Slide previews selected in the Slide Sorter will be displayed in the Slide Editor, where they can be edited by adding images from the Image Palette.
But, you may also want to isolate a particular pane while working within it. You may maximize or minimize any of the panes by using the application window controls in the upper right corner of each pane. For Macs, the window controls will appear in the upper left corner of the various panes.
To further customize your workspace, mouse over the borders of the various panes until your pointer turns into a double-headed arrow. Then, use your mouse to drag the borders of the pane to the exact size that you need.
You may always return to the Default Layout by going to the "View" toolbar menu, following the arrow to the right of the "Workspace" option, and selecting "Reset to default layout." You may also choose to hide or show any combination of panes by selecting any of the other options listed under the "Workspace" option. Finally, after you've customized your workspace to an optimal layout, you can choose the "Save layout" option under "Workspace" to preserve it.