On this page:
- I use OIV on campus, but would also like to use it at home, or while traveling
- I would like to reuse slides I've already created in another OIV presentation
- I prefer colors and/or font settings other than the OIV defaults
- I would like to present on two screens simultaneously
- I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts rather than my mouse
- I'd like to manage OIV file sizes - change your computer memory settings
- Windows: Adjust memory settings in OIV
- The text in my presentation disappeared
- I'm seeing a message that the OIV cannot be opened because it is from an unknown developer
Yes, you may install the OIV program on any local machine.
- Open both OIV presentations.
- Select the desired slides in one Slide Sorter.
- Then, drag them into the Slide Sorter of the other presentation.
- For PCs, go to the "Edit" toolbar. For Macs, go to the "Artstor OIV" toolbar.
- Select "Preferences."
- Click the "Defaults" tab.
Learn more about OIV User Preferences.
OIV automatically detects the number of monitors that you have connected to your computer. Whether presenting images or slides, you will be prompted to decide whether or not to use all available monitors. Learn more about Dual-Screen Presentations.
Yes, there are standard keyboard shortcuts for general use, all three panes in the OIV workspace (Image Palette, Slide Editor, and Slide Sorter), as well as for Image Palette Presentations and Slide Presentations. All of the keyboard shortcuts are summarized in this guide. If you prefer, you may also change these keyboard shortcuts.
OIV is a memory-intensive program, since it manipulates large image files. Therefore, you can improve OIV's performance by instructing your computer to use more memory while running the program as outlined below. You can also create smaller presentation files, which will not take up as much memory to run on your machine.
Change memory setting
- Click on the "Edit" toolbar button. For Macs, click on the "Artstor OIV" toolbar menu.
- Click on "Preferences..." For Macs, this option is also accessible by using the -, keyboard shortcut.
- Click on the "Memory" or "Memory Usage" tab.
- Use the scroll bar to reset the maximum amount of memory that the OIV can use.
- Explanations for each level, from 128 Megabytes to 1 Gigabyte, are provided.
- This setting must be less than the available memory on your computer. 50% of installed memory is a recommended setting; exceeding 70% of installed memory is not recommended.
- Click on the "OK" button to close the window.
- Exit OIV and restart the program to apply the new memory setting.
If you want to make changes to the memory usage of OIV, special steps are required if the machine has the User Account Control settings set to the default security level (Windows Only). To make changes:
- Install OIV as an administrator user.
- Once OIV is installed, open this location: C:\Program Files (x86)\ARTstor\OIV or C:\Program Files\ARTstor\ if there is no Program Files (x86) folder.
- Right click on OIV.ini file, and click on Properties.
- Once OIV.ini Properties dialog is opened, click on Security tab
- Click the Edit button.
- In the Group or user names section, select Users.
- In the Permissions for Users section, check the box Allow for Full Control
- Click Apply, and then click OK at the bottom of the Permissions dialog box.
- Click OK on the bottom of the Properties dialog box.
- OIV will now be able to save memory preferences.
- Please note: You must be logged into your computer as an administrator in order to edit/disable the User Account Control Setting.
If you have created an OIV presentation in a version older than our current 4.1 version and notice that edited text is disappearing, please save the presentation in the new 4.1 version. If you have not yet downloaded and installed OIV 4.1, see our download and install instructions.
You will need to allow this installation in your security settings through System Preferences --> Security and Privacy --> Allow apps downloaded from: