Reports on your institution’s usage of the Digital Library are available on the Usage Reports site.
On this page:
As we have upgraded the Artstor interface, we have simultaneously updated and simplified our usage reports. As part of this effort, we have removed previously-tracked events to focus on key usage metrics such as views and downloads. We have also made improvements in the Artstor interface that have impacted events that previously appeared in usage reports.
An example of this is a change in the way metadata is viewed. Previously, users clicked into the individual metadata of an image in order to see it. Now, the metadata is included when the image is opened and is no longer tracked as a separate access event.
The following activities are now tracked as an access within usage reports:
- View image
- Download image
- Groups to OIV
- Groups to PPT
- Images to PPT
For those events that are no longer tracked, we have removed them from usage reports for both historical reports and those going forward. Please note that if you ran a usage report prior to March 2018, the numbers will likely deviate from the updated reports. We have found that overall usage in the new reports is, on average, 30% - 40% lower than previous reports.
We are currently working on making our usage statistics COUNTER 5-compliant in 2019, and will keep you informed as that work is completed.
If you have any questions about these changes to reporting, or if you’d like to receive a report that includes the prior tracking of events, please contact us.
Your credentials for accessing this site should have been sent to your email address when your institution first subscribed. If you need a reminder of this login, please contact User Support.
There are four reports available, each reporting on meaningful activities by your users (events) in the Digital Library:
- Monthly Usage Report - shows a summary of your institution's use of the Digital Library by month with events grouped into categories
- Daily Usage Report - shows your institution's usage by day and event
- Daily Usage Report (Summary) - shows institution's usage by day and event category
- Daily Registration Report - shows how many new users from your institution registered for a Digital Library account by day
Data for each of these reports is updated by the 7th of the following month. For example, January data would be available by February 7th.
Working with Reports
To pull a specific report:
- Select the radio button for the report you would like to pull
- Specify the date range you would like to view from the drop down menu. The earliest available data is from January 2008.
- Click “Generate.” The data will be displayed in the right-hand panel.
- Data can be downloaded in XML or Excel format by clicking the icons in the upper right-hand corner. You can also click the “i” icon to view event definitions.
“Events” refers to any action taken by users in the Digital Library. Full definitions for each event can be found in the event or by clicking the “i” information icon in the upper right-hand corner of each report.
Tips for Interpretation
Usage reports often show patterns of use in terms of institutional comfort with advanced features. Training empowers your users to better utilize the Digital Library in their scholarship and regularly increases usage statistics. If you would like advice on increasing usage at your institution, please see our Training section
Certain advanced features, such as download to PowerPoint, may result in the appearance of a decrease in usage while faculty are still relying on Artstor images in their teaching on an ongoing basis. Some administrators ask their faculty and students for qualitative feedback or testimonials to supplement usage data.