On this page:
The Images for Academic Publishing (IAP) program makes available publication-quality images for use in scholarly publications free of charge. The IAP program was initiated by The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2007 to help address the challenges of scholarly publishing in the digital age by providing free images for academic publications through an automated Web-based service.
IAP was an optional service to all museums who wished to foster scholarly publications. This service is intended for individual scholars who are working on a particular book, article, or website that meets criteria established by the museum contributors. All IAP contributors also contributed images to the Artstor Digital Library, which makes images available exclusively for teaching and educational use, not publication.
IAP makes available images from:
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art
- Mellink Archive (Bryn Mawr College)
- Dallas Museum of Art
- Getty Research Institute: Alexander Liberman, Julius Shulman Photography Archives
- Getty Research Institute: Study Photographs of European Tapestries
- Getty Research Institute: Carl and Jennifer Strom: Korean Buddhist Monasteries
- Hillwood Estate, Museum and Garden
- Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Brooklyn Museum Costumes
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Ramón Casas Sketchbooks (Northwestern University Library)
- Princeton University Art Museum
- RISD Museum (Rhode Island School of Design)
- The Walters Art Museum
- Worcester Art Museum
- Yale University Art Gallery
IAP for Non-Subscribers: Request Access to IAP images
To receive access to IAP for a period of 120 days, other scholars may request free access to IAP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: There is a cap of 10 images for IAP downloading per month
IAP for Subscribers: Search and Access to IAP images
Please note: To use the below instructions, you must already have been given an IAP account or be affiliated with a subscribing institution.
- Go to https://library.artstor.org
- Log in with your username and password
- Enter the following search query:
iap:true AND [insert your keyword]into the search bar to get search results for relevant images for academic publishing. You will know your results are IAP images because they will be indicated by a small "IAP" flag found beneath the item thumbnail.
- Once you have selected a specific image, click the center of the thumbnail to open the item detail page. Scroll down to find and click Request IAP at the bottom of the metadata panel on the right,
- Complete the form on the IAP request page, review the IAP Terms and Conditions of Use, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Our Support team will be in touch by email, regarding your request.
Requesting IAP Images For Subscribers
Images marked with the "IAP" icon are available for publication as part of the Images for Academic Publishing program.
- Click the thumbnail to be brought to the Detail page.
- Then click the Request IAP button found at the bottom of the metadata panel on the right.
- Complete the IAP form, review the IAP Terms & Conditions of Use, and click Submit at the bottom of this page.
- Our Content team will be in touch with you regarding your request.
Questions about IAP
To register for access to IAP, ask questions about the IAP service and related policies, or ask a technical question related to downloading IAP images, contact us by email at email@example.com or visit our contact page