Want to be the first to know about new features, bug fixes, known issues, and site maintenance? Sign up for our mailings on this page: http://artstor.org/content/join-our-mailings
Adding Details (4/2019)
You can now add details from images to your image groups. Read more here: Zooming & Saving Image Details
Compound Objects (2/19/2019)
Compound objects have been available on Artstor for a while! While there’s no way to filter your search results for compound objects, you can see a sample of what these items look like on the Artstor Digital Library. Compound objects include multiple instances of an object within one item. For example, a document with multiple pages can now be viewed within one item view.
Filter by Contributor (12/4/18)
Search results can now be filtered by the institution that contributed the images. Users have more information on where public collections are coming from and they are able to narrow their results by contributor. Read more about filtered searching on Artstor on our “Filtered Search” support article.
Accessibility improvements (10/15/18)
We have made additional improvements for tabbed navigation of Artstor, including available tabbing in filters and improvements for screen readers; title and creator text is now included for screen readers in the thumbnail results view. More information about accessibility in Artstor can be found here.
Manage more of your profile (9/11/18)
More options are available to customize your user settings. Use the Settings link to add/edit your first and last name, your role at your institution, and your academic department.
Search your personal collection, new MLA citation, plus group sorting (9/4/18)
– You can now search within your personal collection to more easily find content within larger collections.
– MLA citation has been updated to 8th edition.
– Groups can now be sorted by Recently Modified. The default is Alphabetical, but from the dropdown you can now choose to sort by Recently Modified, to see which groups were last edited.
New group view with group preview (8/20/18)
Now you get a preview of a groups content, description and owner when browsing groups! Take a tour of the new view by selecting the icon next to the search groups box, or watch this short video.
This new view shows you thumbnails from the group, the description, its tags, and group owner details. You can sort the list of groups by clicking on the creator name.
Also, you can track groups you have shared, under the “shared by me” group type. Any group you shared, either privately or institutionally, will be listed here. Your institutionally shared groups will also be listed in the Institutional group list. Make sure to log in with your registered user account to see your own groups.
New view of groups and tags (7/31/18)
The layout of the groups page is changing! Now you will see the search box at the top of the groups list, and group type navigation at the left (my groups, institutional, shared with me). Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!
Institutional collections will now include the institution name (example: JSTOR Collections)
Open access to Public collections (6/20/18)
We have a new way to access Public collections! Our home page now allows access to public content for anyone directing their web browser to library.artstor.org from off-campus, or without logging in. You can now see public content and can search, browse, download and link to all of these items. For more information about public access, please visit our support article.
New landing page with more featured content (5/24/18)
Our new landing page features more collections for you to browse, as well as new navigation to our blog and your institutional collections.
You can still browse categories of content from the footer at the bottom of each page.
Personal Collections are back! (5/14/18)
New collection indicator icons (5/2/18)
Thumbnails now display larger collection indicators:
Artstor collections are contributed by museums, artists, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo archives, and artists and artists’ estates. Accessible by all participating institutions.
Shared by your institution through JSTOR Forum and available to your institution only.
Content uploaded by a registered user, and available only to the owner unless shared in a group.
Content contributed by either a contributor or an institution, and available to everyone.
Collections links added to Detail page (4/12/18)
Use the collection link in the item metadata on the detail page, to browse the full collection on Artstor.
New browse footer and admin tool update (4/2/18)
The login page footer now offers a view into ways to browse content in the Digital Library.
OIV repeat authentication removed (3/28/18)
OIV no longer requires authentication every 120 days. You will now only need to enter your Artstor credentials once to connect OIV to your account when downloading new groups. Opening existing presentations does not require authentication.
Accessibility Improvements (3/5/18)
As part of our ongoing efforts to improve the Artstor Digital Library’s accessibility, we have added a language declaration to the site’s source code which will help screen readers determine the correct language for the site.
Filtering Collections (2/19/18)
From the Browse by Collections page, you can now use the filtering panel and search within results options for refining your view of an open collection. The expand/caret option for each collection has been removed and replaced with this new type of filtering.
New advanced search features added (2/1/18)
We have added the ability to edit an advanced search, and the option to search an SSID in the advanced search field list. If you have constructed an advanced search, and wish to edit the keywords used, simply go back to the advanced search panel and your existing search will populate the fields.
Panoramas, Clusters, thumbnail views, and fullscreen improvements (1/22/18)
- Institutionally uploaded panorama files (also known as QTVRs) are now viewable on the detail page. Look for the Artstor QTVRs coming soon!
- The display of clustered images is improving. When viewing all related images in a cluster, the lead image is now indicated by the cluster icon
- The thumbnail view setting you choose will persist for the duration of your login.
- When comparing items in fullscreen mode, you can now close the item on the left. Also, when exiting fullscreen mode, you will be returned to the last viewed item on the detail page.
Chat support now available, Institutional collection filtering (1/08/18)
The Digital Library now offers a new way to connect with our support team! You’ll find a chat box, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST, in the lower right corner of your window.
Institutional collections are now available to filter by, however, the number of items represented in your search results will not appear after the collection name, as it does for Artstor, Public, and private collections.
Advanced search by institutional collection & collection indicator (12/11/17)
- Advanced searching by a specific institutional collection is now available. Within the advanced search panel, underneath institutional collections, you will be able to select specific collections from your institution if multiple are available.
- On the detail page at the top of the item details panel, you will now see an indicator showing which collection the item is from. See our thumbnails icon page for details on these collection types.
Shibboleth linking to Artstor accounts is back (11/27/17)
- If your institution uses Shibboleth as their access method, you can once again link an Artstor account to your institutional access.
- Artstor Open Collections are now indicated by
- Hover over a thumbnail to access a select box
Mini-viewer, Navigation and icon changes (11/13/17)
- The comparison mode icon in our fullscreen view has changed.
- We have a new mini viewer on the detail page so you can see where you’ve zoomed.
- You can now keyboard navigate through groups or results on the detail page.
Citations are back (11/7/17)
We have improved our citation tool and you can now generate a citation for an asset in the Digital Library!
New admin tool released (11/2/17)
Usage Report data changes (beginning July 2017)
Statistics gathered since July 2017 (new platform release) reflect the following:
- Stats related to personal notes, instructor notes, and citations are not available. These features are currently retired but still appear on our reports with zero usage.
- Stats related to personal collections are currently showing no usage. This will be updated as we bring back personal collection functionality.
- “Create folder” shows usage for tagging of groups, which has replaced folders.
- “View metadata” is still tracked although not a visible action to end-users.
- Stats for the new search functionality we launched in early October are in-progress and will be available soon.
Register with your JSTOR account (10/28/17)
You can now register for an Artstor account using your JSTOR registered user credentials. Simply register using the same email address and password you used when you set up your JSTOR account.
Updates on our improved search (10/16/17)
We are continuing to refine our search functionality. Search results might appear in a different order than previously experienced, as we continue to implement additional changes. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
New note regarding search: User-created classification filters are now available. If your search results include content created by institutions using Shared Shelf, you may see custom classifications in the filtering panel, in addition to Artstor’s original sixteen.
IAP: In order to retrieve IAP images, you must use the keyword search phrase: artstorid:”IAP” (search must use the quotation marks around IAP)
Metropolitan Museum of Art cc0 collection: This collection is temporarily unavailable as a keyword search; searches for “creative commons zero” or “cc0” will not yield results. To open the collection directly, please use the collection link under Browse>Open Collections and locate The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Improved Search (10/5/17)
We’ve improved our search functionality! Searches are now faster with more relevant results. If you experience issues with a search please clear your cache.
As part of this improvement we’ve also fixed bugs associated with search filters, including issues with selected filters resetting the parameters of searches, and occasional timeouts of advanced searches which include many selections.
Suggested Tags (9/22/17)
When adding/editing tags for a Group, a list of suggested tags (tags already in existence) will appear for you to choose from.
Download an Image Detail (9/19/17)
You can now download a zoomed portion of an image from the Detail page. Detailed steps can be found here.
View LARGE thumbnails is back (8/22/17)
Were you missing flashcard mode on the old mobile site? We now have Quiz mode! (8/18/17)
We’ve updated our EZProxy settings. (8/18/17)
Group tags are displayed in group details – start a search using them!
New! Search Groups
You can now search your groups by Type, using keywords, and applying Tags.
We’ve updated the update!
July 2017 – Welcome to the new Artstor Digital Library!
The new Artstor Digital Library features cleaner design and streamlined features. Watch the above video tour, or read below for a list of changes we’ve made. You might also want to read about changes to your password-protected folders and personal collections.
Updated and new features:
- Our new IIIF image viewer allows you to view images full screen, and a new comparison mode allows you to compare up to 10 images at once while zooming on details.
- Anyone with a registered account can share image groups, not just those with instructor privileges. Students can easily share image groups with their teachers and classmates.
- Image groups can bet set to private or institutional (viewable to everyone at your institution). Private image groups can be shared with select people by sharing the URL. Private image groups shared with you will be saved under the “shared with me” header on the image groups page.
- Image groups can now be shared across institutions via the URL. Any local images (such as those from your Shared Shelf collections) will not be visible to users at other institutions.
- Advanced search no longer requires a keyword. You can now select multiple criteria such as date, classification, and geography to view all images in Artstor meeting those criteria.
- Tags replace the folder system.
- Image groups open directly from the Digital Library home page under the “Image Groups” header.
- Images open on the detail page (instead of a pop up window), with metadata to the right of the image. You can link directly to this page.
- Links saved on LibGuides, course websites, etc. will redirect to the new site.
- The citation generator has been temporarily removed from the site and will return soon.
- Image detail views saved into groups will revert to the full version of the image. You cannot currently save details to groups. This functionality will return soon.
- The platform is now mobile-friendly. Save image groups from your iPad!
- Uploading of OIV presentations into personal collections has been retired. If you need to share OIV presentations with students, please convert them to PDFs.
Artstor Admins can download this Toolkit with customizable PDFs and reusable graphics!
Password-protected folders previously shared with other Artstor users at your institution are now private. To re-share the image groups from the folder with a select group of people, generate a URL for the image group and send it to them. Although the groups are private, those you share the URL with will be able to view them. Once they open the group URL, the group will show up under the “Shared with me” header on the image groups page.
Personal collections cannot currently be edited or added to. Any images you have uploaded to your personal collection and made publicly available are accessible through search, and can be added to image groups and shared. Personal collection management will return in the fall of 2017.
April 2017 – A New Artstor is coming!
Artstor is thrilled to announce that we will be releasing an improved Digital Library this summer. The new platform will feature a redesigned interface, streamlined features, and will run on the same backend technology that currently powers JSTOR.
Immediate upcoming improvements include:
- A new full screen IIIF image viewer with side-by-side comparison mode (no pop-ups or Flash required)
- Simplified image group sharing: all registered users (previously limited to instructors) will now be able to share image groups at your institution
- Increased web accessibility for users with disabilities
- Shorter URLs for easier linking in LibGuides, course websites, emails, and more
- Mobile friendly – same experience on desktops and devices
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
September 2016 – Updated Features
- Links in the Digital Library from Help now bring users to support.artstor.org pages.
- Radio buttons beneath “Search by date or date range” have been removed, to provide more complete search results.
- When browsing an Institutional Collection, the quick search box will automatically be narrowed down to that single institutional collection.
- The terms and conditions page viewed when downloading an image from the Artstor Digital Library now includes text, notifying users that the descriptive information about the image is embedded in the image file.
Full release notes can be viewed on the Release Notes page.
August 2016 – OIV 4.1 Release
- Removal of the slide numbering in slide presentations
- The inactive launch image viewer button in the slideshow and palette presentation is now active
- When installing OIV 4.1, non-administrators can launch OIV on Windows machines, without requiring administrator login credentials, and without the User Account Settings being lowered in the computer’s default security settings.
- Slide presentation images using a zoomable slide template no longer requires Java version 1.6 for non-pixelation. When zooming into an image, additional images on that slide will remain clear.
Full release notes can be found on the OIV Release Notes page.
June 2016 – Updated Features
- Shared Shelf Commons audio files and audio files from Institution’s Shared Shelf Collections will play using the Kaltura viewer (not Quicktime or Flash). Personal Collection audio files will still use Quicktime player. See Working with Audio files for more details.
- For all Windows OS, we no longer support Safari browser.
- For Mac, we do not support Safari browser for OS X 10.5 and 10.6. For later versions of OSX we do support the Safari browser.
- See this page for more browser support details.
March 2016 – New Features
We are happy to announce new features in the Artstor Digital Library which include:
- Embedded Metadata: Embedded Metadata is now available for users. Images in the Digital Library can now be downloaded as a single file with embedded metadata. By embedding the data, we no longer need to require you to download two files in a .zip when you just want an image. If you still require the metadata file, you can now download it separately from the metadata window.
- Audio Files: Shared Shelf Audio files in the Digital Library no longer require QuickTime for playback. For these files, users can now select any plugin to play the audio files in their browsers.
Please see the release notes page for details.
Twitter chat on Visual Literacy, Tuesday, February 10, 2016
Thanks for joining us to to share your experiences, successes, and challenges—and your questions—on teaching Visual Literacy. View the archive of this chat here
September 2014 – OIV 4.0 update
In response to our community’s feedback we are pleased to announce an upgrade for the Offline Image Viewer 4.0. With this release, users are no longer given multiple authentication messages when opening and performing other actions within the OIV.
Kindly be advised that it is normal behavior to authenticate when importing Digital Library media into the OIV and to authenticate the OIV every 120 days when you are accessing off-campus. Please see OIV authentication for further details.
To access this new version, uninstall any previous versions of the OIV, log into your account, and install the OIV 4.0 using these instructions . Please note that although this is an updated version, it is still labeled the OIV 4.0.
To get the full details of this new release please visit the release notes page.
May 2015 – New Features
- Shared Shelf Commons Collections are now available alongside content in the Digital Library and images in these collections are identified with an icon. Shared Shelf Commons is also an option under the Collection facets of Filters and Advanced Search.
- Teaching Resources replaces the Featured Groups heading and includes all of the same content (Surveys, Curriculum Guides, Case Studies and AP® Resources).
- Full Screen (Non-popup) Viewer is now an option for image URLs and image group URLs. Sharing content with this option allows users to bypass popup blockers.
- Internet Explorer 11 has improved support in this release.
This release also includes development of subject-specific portals, such as SAHARA, as well as others that have not yet been released.
Learn more about new features and tools:
- Artstor Digital Library Release Notes
- Artstor Mobile Release Notes
- Offline Image Viewer Release Notes