Reports on your institution’s usage of the Digital Library are available on the Usage Reports site.
Note: Statistics gathered since July 2017 (new platform release) reflect the following:
- Stats related to personal notes, instructor notes, and citations are not available. These features are currently retired but still appear on our reports with zero usage.
- Stats related to personal collections are currently showing no usage. This will be updated as we bring back personal collection functionality.
- “Create folder” shows usage for tagging of groups, which has replaced folders.
- “View metadata” is still tracked although not a visible action to end-users.
- Stats for the new search functionality we launched in early October are in-progress and will be available soon.
Accessing the Usage Reports Site
Your credentials for accessing this site should have been sent to your email address when your institution first subscribed. If you need a reminder of this login, please email email@example.com
There are six reports available, each reporting on meaningful activities by your users (events) in the Digital Library:
- Monthly Usage Report – shows a summary of your institution’s use of the Digital Library by month with events grouped into categories
- Daily Usage Report – shows your institution’s usage by day and event
- Daily Usage Report (Summary) – shows institution’s usage by day and event category
- Daily Registration Report – shows how many new users from your institution registered for a Digital Library account by day
- Hourly Average Usage Report – shows average usage at your institution by event and hour
- Hourly Average Usage (Summary) – shows average usage at your institution by hour and event category
- Data for each of these reports is updated by the 7th of the following month. For example, January data would be available by February 7th.
Working with Reports
To pull a specific report:
- Select the radio button for the report you would like to pull
- Specify the date range you would like to view from the drop down menu. The earliest available data is from January 2008.
- Click “Generate.” The data will be displayed in the right-hand panel.
- Data can be downloaded in XML or Excel format by clicking the icons in the upper right-hand corner. You can also click the “i” icon to view event definitions.
“Events” refers to any action taken by users in the Digital Library. Full definitions for each event can be found in the event Report Event Definitions PDF or by clicking the “i” icon in the upper right-hand corner of each report.
Tips for Interpretation
Usage reports often show patterns of use in terms of institutional comfort with advanced features. Training empowers your users to better utilize the Digital Library in their scholarship and regularly increases usage statistics. If you would like advice on increasing usage at your institution, please see our Training section
Certain advanced features, such as download to PowerPoint, may result in the appearance of a decrease in usage while faculty are still relying on Artstor images in their teaching on an ongoing basis. Some administrators ask their faculty and students for qualitative feedback or testimonials to supplement usage data.
For more robust interpretation of your usage, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessing Usage Statistics Video