A new platform – Update: Launched worldwide July 2017!
We are thrilled to announce that we will be releasing an enhanced Digital Library this summer on an updated platform. This will allow us to make improvements to the software more easily and will provide a more seamless working experience, making it easier for you to find, share, and study the images you use for your teaching and research.
Improvements will include:
- A new full screen IIIF image viewer with side-by-side comparison mode (no pop-ups or Flash required)
- Simplified image group sharing: all registered users (previously limited to faculty) will be able to share image groups with other users at your institution
- Increased web accessibility for users with disabilities
- Shorter URLs for easier linking in LibGuides, course websites, emails, and more
- Mobile friendly
The new platform will also include several changes to existing features:
- Passwords will now be case sensitive. Existing passwords must be entered in all lowercase; any edited or new passwords are case sensitive.
- Groups that were in Password-protected folders will need to be reshared to be viewed by others at your institution. (NOTE: All of the Groups you have created in the Artstor Digital Library will be unchanged through this transition. There is no action required to retain your Groups.)
- Personal notes and instructor notes are being retired. If you need any information saved in your personal or instructor notes, we recommend copying and pasting this information into your image group descriptions by June 1st.
- The citation generator and saved citations will be temporarily removed and added back into the Digital Library after the new release. If you have saved citations that you need, please download them before June 1st.
- Saved searches are being retired.
- The date filter for search results will be temporarily removed in late May (prior to the release of the new site). It will return, with improvements, as part of the updated site this summer.
- We will be pausing the upload and metadata entry functions for personal collections beginning June 1st 2017. During this pause you will be able to share, download, and save your existing images to groups as usual. You will not be able to add new images to your personal collection or edit any of the text associated with your existing images.
- Uploading of OIV presentations into personal collections will be retired. If you need to share OIV presentations with students, please convert them to PDFs (instructions here).
Updated Terms and Conditions
As part of the enhancement of the Artstor Digital Library platform, and to make user terms more uniform across all of ITHAKA’s* services, we have made some basic updates to Artstor’s Terms and Conditions. These changes make it easier for you to determine how images from the different sources found on the Digital Library platform may be used and ensure that the policies of our larger organization are aligned and more easily understood from service to service. Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with these changes.
Thank you and User Support
We thank you for your continued use and support of the Artstor Digital Library and for your help in making the new site possible. If you have any questions, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Artstor Support Team
*In 2016, Artstor joined ITHAKA – a not-for-profit organization comprising three services focused on the scholarly community: JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R – in an alliance that allows us to explore innovative ways of using technology to strengthen the work of educational and cultural institutions while lowering their costs. Through this partnership, we aim to increase the impact of the diverse content we offer to students, educators, and researchers throughout the world.