The Images for Academic Publishing (IAP) program makes available publication-quality images for use in scholarly publications free of charge. The IAP program was initiated by The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2007 to help address the challenges of scholarly publishing in the digital age by providing free images for academic publications through an automated Web-based service. IAP was an optional service to all museums who wished to foster scholarly publications. This service is intended for individual scholars who are working on a particular book, article, or website that meets criteria established by the museum contributors. All IAP contributors also contributed images to the Artstor Digital Library, which makes images available exclusively for teaching and educational use, not publication.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Brooklyn Museum Costumes
- Mellink Archive of Bryn Mawr College
- Dallas Museum of Art
- Getty Research Institute: Photo Archives
- Getty Research Institute: Study of Photographs of Tapestries
- Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Northwestern University Library: Ramon Casas sketchbooks
- Princeton University Art Museum
- The Walters Art Museum
- Yale University Art Gallery
IAP for current subscribers to Artstor
1. Go to library.artstor.org
3. Use the Keyword Search and enter images for academic publishing. You can then search within your results using additional keywords and phrases.
IAP for nonsubscribers – Get access to IAP images:
To receive access to IAP for a period of 120 days, other scholars may request free access to IAP by emailing email@example.com.
Please note: There is a cap of 10 images for IAP downloading per month
- Go to library.artstor.org.
- Login with your username and password
- Use the Keyword Search and search images for academic publishing. IAP images will be indicated by this icon beneath the thumbnail. You can then search within these results for additional keywords or phrases.
- Click the center of the thumbnail to be brought to the detail page. At the bottom of the metadata panel on the right, click Request IAP.
- Complete the form on the IAP request page, review the IAP Terms and Conditions of Use, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
- Our Content team will be in touch by email, regarding your request.
Questions about IAP
To register for access to IAP, scholars can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about the IAP service and related policies, please send an email to email@example.com.
For technical questions related to downloading IAP images, please contact Artstor User Services at (877) 771-4908 or firstname.lastname@example.org.