Begin an Advanced Search
For more control over your search, use the Advanced Search feature.
The link to launch an Advanced Search is found directly under the keyword search box on any results page.
Construct your search in the advanced search window:
- Enter a search term in the first search box (or leave keywords blank)
- Use the drop-down menu to the right of this field to specify the scope of your search: in any field, Title, Creator, Location, Repository, Subject, Material, Style or Period, Work Type, Culture, Description, Technique, Number, SSID, Repository ID or SSID.
- Use the drop-down menu at the beginning of the second row to select a Boolean operator (AND/OR/NOT).
- Enter another search term in the field provided.
- Click Add Query to add additional keyword fields. You can add up to ten queries for each search.
- In the date range area, enter a Start date and End date, and click to toggle an era [BCE or CE]. Enter only a Start date to search for a single date.
- Use the scroll bar next to Geography to review a list of geographic terms.
- Click the checkbox next to the desired region or country (up to five selections).
- Use the scroll bar next to Classification to review a list of classification categories.
- Click the checkbox next to the desired classification (up to five selections).
- Under Collections you can perform your search exclusively in personal collections, institutional collections, and/or Shared Shelf collections, depending on your account settings.
- To limit your search, click the checkbox next to the desired collection(s).
Refine or modify an advanced search
One you have performed an advanced search, and wish to add or edit the search criteria, you can refine using the filtering panels on the left, or if you wish to edit keywords and phrases, click Advanced search again and your existing criteria will populate the fields.