The simplest way to present images from the Digital Library is to use the Image Viewer. The Image Viewer tools allow you to move through images, zoom, pan and rotate images while presenting, play multimedia files, and set up your screen to do side-by-side comparisons.
To present with the Image Viewer, you will need to be using a computer that is connected to the Internet and able to access the Digital Library, either because you are connected to your campus network or you’re logged in using remote access.
- Save the images that you wish to present in an image group.
- Open your image group so that its contents are displayed on a thumbnail page.
- Rearrange images so that they are in the order that you wish to display them in your presentation.
- Save any changes that you have made to the group.
- Double-click on the first image thumbnail in the group to launch the Image Viewer window. Use the tools provided in the Image Viewer to present your images.
- Use (navigational arrows) in the bottom center of the window to navigate through the images in your presentation. Click (list image titles icon), to skip ahead or go back in the image group.
- Click (maximize icon) to expand the window to full-screen. To return to half-screen, click (minimize icon).
- To compare images, double-click a second image thumbnail in your group to launch a second Image Viewer window. It will open on the opposite side of the screen. For more details see tips for side-by-side comparisons below.
- Select (zoom mode ), and then use your mouse to click into the image, in order to zoom in to details. You may also use (zoom in icon) and (zoom out icon).
- Select (pan mode), and use your mouse to drag to different areas within the zoomed-in image. You may also click and drag the red selection box in the thumbnail map, located in the lower right corner of the window.
- When (the rotate mode) is selected, you can rotate the image up to 360 degrees by clicking into the image and dragging your mouse to the right to rotate the image clockwise.
- If your image group contains multimedia files, you can play them from the Image Viewer by clicking their QTVR or audio icons.
- After zooming and/or panning, restore the image to its original state by clicking (reset icon).
- To end your presentation, click on the “X” in the upper right corner of the Image Viewer.
Tips for side-by-side comparisons
To set up a presentation with side-by-side comparisons, similar to a traditional slide lecture…
- When arranging the images in your image group, make sure to position all the images that will appear on the left side in the front half of your group.
- Then, once you begin your presentation, set up a side-by-side comparison with the first images from the front and back halves of your group. For detailed instructions, please see: Side-by-side comparisons.
- Double-click on the first image in the group so the it opens on the left side of the window.
- Then, go back to the page of thumbnails and double-click on the first image that you want to present on the right side, so that it opens on the opposite side of the screen. You many also open any image and use the List Image Titles icon () to jump ahead to the first image in the second group.
- Once the first pairs of images are displayed in the two Image Viewers, use the navigational arrows () at the bottom of each window to advance each side of the comparison in sequence. Toggle back and forth, from left to right, to navigate through your presentation.