Faceted Search allows you to further filter your search results by collection type, Artstor classification, geographical area or country, and date range by using the faceted search panel on the left hand side of the search results page.
To use faceted search:
- Run a keyword search. The results will be returned as thumbnails with a faceted search panel and a graphical timeline.
- Collection Type filter: This filter will display the collection types represented in your search results, including Shared Shelf Commons collections. If your institution subscribes to Shared Shelf, you will be able to limit your search to those institutional collections here. Users at non-subscribing institutions will only be able to select content from the Artstor Digital Library and Shared Shelf Commons. To select a particular collection, click the name of the collection type. The thumbnails will reload, including only results within the specified collection type.
- Classification filter: This filter will display the Artstor classifications represented in your search results. To narrow your results to one specific classification, click the name of the classification. The thumbnails will reload, including only the filtered results.
- Geography filter: This filter will display the geographical areas or countries represented in your search results. To narrow your results to one specific area or country, click the name of the location. Once you select the location the thumbnails will reload, including only those results.
- Date range filter: This filter will display the earliest and latest dates represented in your search results. To narrow the date range, drag the end-markers from either side of the time line to adjust the included dates or type new dates in the beginning and end date boxes at either end of the timeline.
Please note: The date range timeline will not appear if your search returns over 1,000 results or if the timeline of results is greater than 10,000 years.
- To clear the Collection Type, Classification, or Geography filters click Clear next to the filter heading.
- To hide the filter click Hide filter panel in the beige bar along the top of your search results to collapse the panel.
Please note: If you are logged into an Artstor registered user account, you will need to change your account settings if you would like the filter panel to open automatically by default. To change this setting please see Change display options. Otherwise, you can click on the + sign or Narrow your results in the upper right corner of the beige bar along the top of your search results to expand the filter panel and graphical timeline.