The mobile site for Apple devices and mobile app for Android devices allows users to search, browse, and view Digital Library and Personal collections, open previously created image groups and test themselves using our flashcard feature. If your institution subscribes to Shared Shelf, you can also access institutional image collections through Artstor Mobile.
- From the home page, select Search.
- Enter your keyword(s) in the search box.
- By default, your term will be searched across all collections you have access to. If your institution subscribes to Shared Shelf, you can limit your search to just Digital Library collections, or specific Shared Shelf Institutional collections using the drop-down menu.
- Click Search.
- Page through results using the page number or arrows at the bottom of the screen.
- From the home page, select Browse.
- You will see the option to browse Artstor collections. If you have uploaded your own images using Personal collections, you will have the option to browse those images. If your institution subscribes to Shared Shelf, you will have the option to browse Shared Shelf Institutional Collections.
- Digital Library collections can be browsed by Geography, Classification, Collection, or Teaching Resources. Personal Collections can be browsed by categories you have assigned; Shared Shelf collections can be browsed by Institutional Collections. Select the category you would like to browse and tap through the menus until you see your image results.
- From the home page, select Open Image Groups.
- The next screen will display all the folder types that you have access to. You can view your private image groups by selecting Private Folders, view folders that have been shared with you by selecting Unlocked Folders or Institutional Folders, and view content shared by Artstor by selecting Global Folders.
- If there are subfolders, keep selecting until you find the image group you’re looking for. Select the image group to open its images.
- Page through results using the page numbers or arrows at the bottom of the screen.
- Please note, you can only view saved images from Artstor Mobile; to make changes to image groups or folders, please use the Digital Library’s desktop site.
View Image Group Notes
If your image group contains notes, you have the ability to view these notes once the group is opened in the mobile site.
- From the image group thumbnail page, click the ‘i’ icon found next to the Views button in the upper right corner.
- This will open an overlay with the image group notes displayed.
- Tap the screen to hide this description or use the browser’s back button.
Viewing Images and Adjusting Views
- Queries returning more than one image will be displayed as a grid of images with page numbers along the bottom.
- Select the “Sort By” button at the top left to re-order your results by Title, Creator, Date or Relevance.
- Select the “Views” button at the top right to view your results as follows:
- image & data: a thumbnail with title, artist information, and date of work.
- data only: title, artist information and date of work.
- image only: thumbnail
- flashcard: large thumbnail. Click here to learn more about Flashcard mode below.
- To view a single image and/or metadata, tap the image.
- You can hide metadata by tapping the Caption menu on the right side.
- Use the forward and back arrows on each image to move through all the images.
The zoom button on Artstor mobile opens the image in a new window (either an app window for Android users, or a browser window on Apple products). The image you will see is a slightly larger version of the thumbnail from the previous screen. Some versions of mobile devices allow pinch and spread for further zoom detail. Navigate to the previous window to access search, browse and home menu buttons.
Artstor Mobile allows you to test your knowledge of images using the flashcard feature.
- To switch to flashcard mode from a set of results, select “Flashcard” from the Views menu in the upper right.
- OR To switch to flashcard mode from an individual image, select “Switch to flashcard view” from between the image and metadata.
- Tap within an image to turn the image over to reveal the caption information; tap again within the metadata box to restore the image.
- You can sort the images randomly by tapping the “Shuffle”button in the upper left.