Begin an Advanced Search
For more control over your search, use the Advanced Search feature, beginning from any page in the digital library.
- To begin an Advanced Search from the front page of the Digital Library, click Advanced Search beneath the Keyword Search box in the upper left corner.
- On a search results page, click Advanced Search beneath the Keyword Search box in the upper right corner. You may also click the Advanced Search button.
- You can also always go to the navigation menu and click Find > Advanced Search.
Construct your search in the advanced search window:
Search for words and phrases
- Enter a search term in the first search box.
- Use the drop-down menu to the right of this field to specify the scope of your search: in any field, Title, Creator, Location, Repository, Subject, Material, Style or Period, Work Type, Culture, Description, Technique or Number.
- Use the drop-down menu at the beginning of the second row to select a Boolean operator (AND/OR/NOT).
- Enter another search term in the field provided.
- Repeat these steps for each keyword term that you wish to enter.
Search by date or date range
- In the date range area, enter a year in the “From” field and choose an era [CE (AD) or BCE (BC)], using the drop-down menu.
- If you would like to search for a range of dates, enter another date choosing an era from the corresponding drop-down menu.
- Select a radio button below the “From” and “To” date fields to either include records with date ranges that overlap the range you entered, or to search only records with dates that are exactly in the range you entered.
Search by geography
- Use the scroll bar under Geography to review a list of geographic terms.
- Click the checkbox next to the desired region or country (up to five selections).
Search by classification
- Use the scroll bar under Classification to review a list of classification categories.
- Click the checkbox next to the desired classification (up to five selections).
Search by collection
- Under Collections you perform your search exclusively in personal collections, institutional collections, and/or Shared Shelf collections, depending on your account settings.
- To limit your search, click the checkbox next to the desired collection.
Perform your search
Once you have created your query, click Search from the bottom left corner of the Advanced Search box. Your results will appear as thumbnail images. You have the option to save this search.