NEW in Artstor – construct an Advanced search without entering any keywords!
Begin an Advanced Search
For more control over your search, use the Advanced Search feature.
The link to launch an Advanced Search is found directly under the keyword search box on any page (except the Detail page).
Construct your search in the advanced search window:
Search for words and phrases
- Enter a search term in the first search box (or leave keywords blank)
- Use the drop-down menu to the right of this field to specify the scope of your search: in any field, Title, Creator, Location, Repository, Subject, Material, Style or Period, Work Type, Culture, Description, Technique or Number.
- Use the drop-down menu at the beginning of the second row to select a Boolean operator (AND/OR/NOT).
- Enter another search term in the field provided.
- Click Add Query to add additional keyword fields. You can add up to ten queries for each search.
Search by date or date range
- In the date range area, enter a Start date and End date, and click to toggle an era [BCE or CE]. Enter only a Start date to search for a single date.
Search by geography
- Use the scroll bar next to Geography to review a list of geographic terms.
- Click the checkbox next to the desired region or country (up to five selections).
Search by classification
- Use the scroll bar next to Classification to review a list of classification categories.
- Click the checkbox next to the desired classification (up to five selections).
Search by collection
- Under Collections you can perform your search exclusively in personal collections, institutional collections, and/or Shared Shelf collections, depending on your account settings.
- To limit your search, click the checkbox next to the desired collection(s).
Perform your search
Once you have created your query, click Search from the bottom right corner of the Advanced Search window. Your results will appear as thumbnails and can be further refined using Filters.