As the local administrator for the Artstor Digital Library, you have access to a suite of tools for managing your institution’s settings, individual user accounts, and folders at your institution.
Accessing the Administrative Tools
Your credentials for accessing this site should have been sent to your email address when your institution first subscribed. If you need a reminder of this login, please email email@example.com.
The global settings menu allows you to control certain settings for your institution, find promotional materials for the Digital Library, and to email registered users from your institution.
To manage institutional settings:
- From the top navigation bar, select Global Settings> Manage Institution.
- On this page you can set the default password for any accounts created through the administrator site, and enable Personal Collections by default for all new users with instructor privileges.
- You can set the contact information for any emails sent through the administrator site (see directions below), and for the instructor privileges window, which will show when a user requests instructor privileges.
To get the word out about Artstor on campus:
- select Global Settings> Promotional Materials.
- This link will bring you to our support page Promoting Artstor where you can access logos, print materials, and training materials.
- Other promotional materials can be found here: artstor.org/promo
To send an email to registered Digital Library users at your institution:
- Select Global Settings > Send an Email
- Select Recipients – Artstor offers certain groups (all registered users, those with instructor privileges, personal collection owners, folder owners, image group owners), or email specific users by entering their email addresses or selecting them from a full list of users.
- Compose your message. You can write your own message or choose from pre-written messages in the drop down menu. These messages can be edited, but we do suggest that you NOT edit the information within the brackets, which is automatically generated.
- You can edit the Sender’s Email address and/or the Subject line.
- When sending an email, be sure to select “Send me a copy”. There is no history of emails sent within this administrator site.
- When you are finished, click Send.
The User Accounts menu allows you to manage registered user accounts at your institution.
- From the top navigation bar, select User Accounts> Manage Users to see a full list of registered users at your institution. This list can be sorted by clicking on any of the column headings, and can be searched using part or all of a user’s email address or browsed by pre-set criteria from the “Browse By” menu.
- Clicking on a user’s email address opens the user details window where you can:
- Extend the user’s remote access period by 30 days
- Archive the user if they are no longer at your institution
- Enable instructor privileges, Personal Collections , or administrator privileges (access to this administrator site)
- Manage the user’s communications preferences
- View a list of all the folders owned by this user
- Email this user through the administrator website by clicking the links at the top and bottom of the user detail window
Grant Instructor Privileges
- From the top navigation bar, select User Accounts> Manage Users to see a full list of registered users at your institution.
- Click on a user’s email address to open the user details window.
- Under the Enable section, check the box for Instructor Privileges. If your institution has Personal Collections, you can also check this box.
- Click Save at the bottom of this window. Opt out of sending email through the admin site to notify the user of these changes.
Note: You can, instead of granting these privileges through the admin tool, send the user the administrative code and password for them to enter in the Instructor Privileges tab of their Profile settings in the Digital Library.
Register New Users
Some administrators create registered accounts for their users, whether on request or in batches as preparation for library instruction sessions. To register new users:
- From the top navigation bar, select User Accounts > Register New Users.
- In the new window that opens, you can enter one or more email addresses separated by commas.
- The default password for these accounts will be artstor1, to change this setting, see Global Settings above.
- You can choose to grant the new user(s) instructor privileges by clicking the check box. Click Next.
- The system will offer you another opportunity to assign instructor privileges and/or send an email notification to the new user(s). Click Next to advance through these options.
- Finally, you can review and submit the new user account(s)
Archive User Accounts
Although Artstor does not require it, some administrators like to archive the accounts of users who are no longer with their institution. For instructions on how to archive an active user account, see Manage Users above. To view and un-archive user accounts that have been archived:
- From the top navigation bar, select User Accounts >View Archived Users. This will show a list of all archived accounts.
- To re-activate an account, click on the user’s email address, then click “Unarchive” in the lower left corner of the user details window. The account will be activated by the next business day.
The folders menu allows an administrator to view and manage all the folders at his/her institution.
- From the top navigation bar, select User Accounts > Manage Folders to see a full list of folders owned by users at your institution. This list can be sorted by clicking on any of the column headings, and can be searched using part or all of a user’s email address or any word(s) in the folder name. They can also be browsed by pre-set criteria from the “Browse By” menu.
- Clicking on a folder name opens the folder details window, where you can:
- Archive an inactive folder by clicking on the “Archive Folder” button in the top right hand corner.
- Edit the name of the folder, folder permissions for reading, editing, and student work folders and view any subfolders within this folder.
- Email the owner of this folder user through the administrator website by clicking the links at the top and bottom of the folder detail window.
Some administrators create folders on behalf of instructors.To create folders:
- From the top navigation bar, select Folders > Create New Folder.
- In the Create New Folder window you can select the owner from a drop down menu of instructor-level users, give the folder a name, and set the permissions for reading, editing, and student work folders.
Although Artstor does not require it, some administrators like to archive folders that are no longer in active use. These folders will no longer be accessible at your institution and won’t be searchable in the “Manage Folders” tab. For instructions on how to archive an active folder, see Manage Folders above. To view and un-archive folders that have been archived:
- From the top navigation bar, select Folders > View Archived Folders. This will show a list of all archived folders.
- Click on a folder name, then click “Unarchive” in the lower left corner of the user details window. The folder will be accessible to the owner by the next business day.
Visit our page Promoting Artstor for logos, brochures and guides
Contact us if you are interested in posters, postcards and bookmarks.